Monday, April 9, 2012

Wrath Of The Titans (2012)


Everyone is WAY too serious and gloomy and moody but that is just the way I like my Greek epics. This film is everything you would expect only less. As with most of these CGI effects fests, the fun is watching them ramp up the destruction to more and more insane levels - again, just the way I like it.

Then why was I so bored? Maybe because I had seen and heard all this balloon juice a thousand times before. The story of Gods and their moody human sons is one as old as time. It can always use a bit of subtlety in the telling. Here there is none of that.

If you are going to do an epic about something as high concept as the battle between gods where the actions of mortal men can turn the tide, you best go full retard on the execution and they do that here. Only everything feels so hollow. I don't know why. That being said, this is Big Hollywood at it's best.



Poor Perseus, stuck in the middle of all the ennui of the ancient gods. Those guys never did anything half way. All moody and dramatic about EVERYTHING. It's pretty easy to understand when you know a bit about all their family issues. Brothers and sons carry around a lot of guilt. One fishing trip would have done these boys a world of good.





The mixing of live actors with special effects is seamless and even thrilling to watch - if you like to see much running and many last minute saves from giants and all other manner of mythic beasties. Again...I yawn.

I, however, can never get enough of Pegasus. Flying horses are very cool. Almost as cool as all the epic beards.

So what am I saying, watch this one at home on the big TV while you do other things. That's how I enjoyed it. Sadly, this trailer is so much better than the film itself. If they would have taken the hopelessness of the song to heart then we would have really had something great here.

7/10

1 comment:

M. D. Jackson said...

I enjoyed it (in glorious 3D!) but then I never saw the prequel so I'm coming at it a bit fresher.