Monday, April 16, 2012

I Admire His Courage But I Don't Want To See Him Wearing His Axe Hand At The Mall


Jaco van Gass, a British soldier from South Africa, lost an arm in Afghanistan. That’s not slowing him down a bit. He plans to climb Mount Everest, making use of a prosthetic arm that he helped design himself:

He said: “I came up with the idea to attach an ice axe to one of my prosthetics, so I kind of challenged the guys at Headley Court to see how we could get this done.”

Van Gass bought a regular ice axe and staff at the centre sawed off the double-sided head, then welded and bolted it to a specially adapted prosthetic made of carbon fibre and plastic.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Now we know what we would have been in for if there had been a fourth Evil Dead movie.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

A lot of orange safety clothing.

DrGoat said...

I always wanted a hook for a hand when I was a kid. Glad I didn't get that wish granted.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

When we were kids there was a wanted poster up for a killer who had a hooks for hands and it scared the hell out of us. I remember a German show that profiled the guy who lost his hands while escaping from a train in handcuffs.

Nathan said...

John Waters has mentioned that he used to want a hook for a hand.