Tuesday, April 24, 2012

House On Haunted Hill (1958)



Vincent Price stars in this classic from the files of Castle Films. This recalls a time when movies were markeded heavily and any cheap gimmick was used to get asses in the seats. The House On Haunted Hill was particularly notorious for laying it on a bit thick when it came to how truly deadly terrifying their pictures were.



The film is best known for a famous promotional gimmick used in the film's original theatrical release called "Emergo": William Castle placed an elaborate pulley system in some theaters showing the film which allowed a plastic skeleton to be flown over the audience at the appropriate time.[3][4] In August and September 2010, the Film Forum in New York City had a revival of the film (along with several other Castle pictures) that included the original gimmicks.



Check out that ghost. I know I would have crapped my pants seeing that move up the aisle towards me.


6/10 For classic old school nostalgia.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to have been able to see this at theaters with all the gimmicks. Same with the movie "The Tingler" with Vincent Price as well where they would vibrate the seats like the Tingler was attacking you. Love it!

Rod Barnett said...

I'd go 7/10 for this incredible fun film. I love the cruel dialog between Price's character and his wife. And i got to sea screening of THE TINGLER in a theater years ago in which they had buzzing seats and a giant foam Tingler that roamed the aisles at the correct moment in the film. Great times!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I picked this one up a couple summers back. Its tacky but a lot of fun at midnight with a bowl of popcorn.

I'm also going to jump on the bandwagon and recommend "The Tingler" as well because it really was a flick that was ahead of its time. Also if you like the "Funhouse Cinema" angle, I'd recommend "Matinee" with John Goodman as a William Castle-esque director with a taste for gimmicks and a passion for storytelling.

DrGoat said...

My parents took me and my isiter to the Fox theater downtown Tucson to see that when it came out. I was only 9 but I remember the skeleton floating over the audience on a rope with a squeeky pulley thing. It was awesome.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I loves me some 'Matinee', Erik. MANT is one of the truly greatest monster movies never made.

I have heard much of this 'tingler'. Maybe it made every guy's first date just a bit better.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I loves me some 'Matinee', Erik. MANT is one of the truly greatest monster movies never made.

I have heard much of this 'tingler'. Maybe it made every guy's first date just a bit better.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of being dubbed a nerd, I must point out that this is not a Hammer film.(Although Castle DID do at least one co-production with them, this ain't it.)

DrGoat said...

Anonymous is right. Hammer films always had a different feel than Castle films. Oranges and apples.