Friday, August 12, 2011

GM Futurliners


The GM Futurliners were a group of stylized buses designed in the 1940s by Harley Earl for General Motors. They were used in GM's Parade of Progress, which traveled the United States exhibiting new cars and technology. The Futurliners were used from 1940 to 1941 and again from 1953 to 1956. A total of 12 were built, and 9 were still known to exist as of 2007.









This thing is just what the Cave of Cool needs for land recon. I would love one that could also become a submarine. How cool is that high perch to drive from too? Reminds me of the Herkimer Battle Jitney from the movie 'Mystery Men'.



5 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

Oh my God, I must have one! I will dedicate the remainder of my time on earth to acquiring one of these.

Unknown said...

I want one! But my wife would say "Where are we going to park it?" lol.

Pat Tillett said...

That is so awesome! I wonder what it's worth...

Anonymous said...

It's... Beautiful...

Paladin said...

Hard to believe something as utilitarian as a bus or motorhome can be such a thing of beauty. I've had a long love affair with busses from the 40's and 50's, even going so far as to scout some out as restoration candidates.

Lack of space kept me from pulling the trigger on any of them... but the desire is still there.