Monday, April 18, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter P - Power Girl



Power Girl is one of the most interesting characters in the DC comic Universe. She can be compared to Supergirl in terms of her powers. In fact, like Supergirl, she is Superman's cousin from another Earth (well this week she is).


I look at Supergirl and imagine that Power Girl is who Supergirl would grow up to be. That makes Power Girl redundant is terms of the the type of hero she is. - we already have a female version of Superman from the planet Krypton.


Over time her origin has changed many times. Sometimes she is Superman's cousin and other times she is not. It all depends on the writer at the time for her identity and origin so you can be forgiven if you have been confused by several conflicting interpretations.


What doesn't doesn't change, however, is her 'look'. It's become iconic and ridiculous at the same time. At first glance all eyes are drawn to the open front 'window' on her chest which puts focus on her more than ample breasts. Her magnificent rack is a source of humor ("Hey buddy, my face is up here") and frustration in the comic books. Often she is not taken seriously by other characters she interacts with. The same could be said of comic fans who read her title. She is a sex symbol first and a competent superhero last.


The look of this character is what makes her such a popular cosplay choice at comic conventions. In a second you can judge if a girl has gotten the costume correct. If so, it is a magnificent sight to behold. When it is done wrong, however, it is a crushing letdown - an embarrassing letdown. We can approve of a fat guy in a Batman suit but a flat chested Power Girl has got to go.


Now what I am going to say may trip some people out but when it comes to this ONE costume you better have the details 99% correct or your effort will be considered a failure. Only a small percentage of females should/can even attempt the look.



If you do not have her curvy voluptuous body type (meaning powerful legs, blonde hair and large breast that are almost bursting out of the costume) then this cosplay character is not right for you.


If you do have these three features then you owe it to the geek world to transform yourself into Power Girl at least once in your life. Only a few have the genetics to pull this off successfully. Every convention season I see pictures of girls who get the costume just right and it's a thrill every time. Compare the comic images above to the live cosplay below and tell me I am wrong.





20 comments:

Wusel's... said...

That's how I always wanted to look like: Blonde hair and big melons below my chin.
*LOL*

Kal said...

You would be surprised what they can do these days with hair color and implants.

Tempo said...

Is it just me or do others of you think that maybe you have to have double D's to be a female superhero?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Poor Power Girl. It's hard to be taken seriously in an outfit like that.

M. D. Jackson said...

Kal, you magnificent bastard! I'm bookmarking this post.

I guess for the creators, at the end of the day it doen't matter who Power Girl really is. The character is just a delivery system for the costume. In that respect she is the epitome of sexism: It doen't matter who she is or what she can do, does she look good in the suit? I would think that more women would have a problem with her, but they don't. In fact it seems to me a lot of women want to be her.

Which, for me as a man with an unabashed love of the female form, works.

Margaret Benbow said...

Picture #6 is just ridiculous. Power Girl cannot fight evil in a thong!!!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

LOL I just talked about PG over the weekend as well.

http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2011/04/zatannurday-guest-star-in-power-girl-23.html

I kinda feel bad for PG, she is never taken seriously and she can stand toe to toe with Superman and Wonder Woman strength wise and since she is (currently) from an alternate universe, this universe's kryptonite has no effect on her.

But despite all that she is still just (as Bizzaro called her) Boobie Girl.

Budd said...

I think your final cosplayer wins. Her costume is really cool looking.

Powergirl is proof that women can eat cheeseburgers and still be appealing. I am talking to you calista flockhart.

Lazarus Lupin said...

The "Boob window" on her costume is actually a brilliant practical design. Compare her to wonderwoman, who's power must be able to NOT pop out with a single leap. Powergirl can look sexy without fear of public indecency.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

PS: Thank you for your kind words earlier.

PPS: Here's something for your squid/octopus file http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mfKJWDSzI

Mike D. said...

I love PG as well... I am cathing up on my DC continuity and just finished Infinite Crisis, and she was awesome in that. Great post... oh, and I always look for Power Girl cosplay at any convention!!!! Boobiessssssssssssss

B's Mom said...

I think maybe her power is in her DD's! ;)

Sarah said...

I'd like to try her out in cosplay but apparently I'm not allowed as I'm not a blonde :)

Kal said...

I think you are giving up too easily Sarah. They do make blonde wigs ya know. The hair color can be faked...the rest? Not so much.

Sarah said...

I know, but I make a HORRIBLE blonde! Trust me.

Kal said...

That's not true Sarah. The fear that putting on the blonde wig makes you lose fifty I.Q. points is just a myth.

Sarah said...

OMG you made me cackle really loudly in the office and everyone stared at me.

thanks!

Seriously, in order to this right, I'd have to dye my eyebrows blonde to match the wig and then what if they all fell out from the bleaching process?

Eyebrow-less girls look WEIRD. I am not Roger Waters!

Kal said...

You don't want to dye your eyebrows because they will fall out and the next step will be drawing them in yourself - then you will have them permanently tatooed on your face - it's a whole vicious cycle that will not end well for anyone. Stay a brunette. I am sorry to push you in the direction of Power Girl when you are a Wonder Woman.

LEon said...

Totally agree with you on the cosplayers. I am still thinking to get this as an action figure. LOL

Kal said...

Life sized action figure? I could live with that.

Megan said...

Indyyyyy! My boobs are falling ouuuuuut!