Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Million Dollar Idea


First I would like to thank my beloved Sarah for not only inspiring this post but for forgiving me for ripping off my own comments at her site and reposting them here.

She was talking about her husband's love for sports and equated it to her love for books of a geekish nature. That got my brain to a thinkin'

I love only certain sports and usually watch only at playoff times. Regular seasons seem so meaningless to me. I could never have money riding on a game because the stress and worry would bother me to much. Relying on grown millionaire crybabies to do everything right so that I can get paid is not for me.

But if it gets Sarah a new pair of boots then I am all for it. Me love her (or any girl) in boots long time.


I like watching Curling (Go Canada - Ford World Championships on NOW!), Hockey, and the Olympic Games. I find watching golf to be very tranquil and always leads to the best Sunday afternoon naps. I even enjoy Soccer but only during World Cup time. I love all the fan support and the fact that all the players are actually putting in effort because national pride is on the line.

I have found that a guy is usually a sports fan or a geek but not both. I wish sometimes that the sports guys would realize that we have the same passion for a new episode of 'Fringe' or the latest 'Clone Wars' cartoon that they have for their game of the week. Each are valid forms of entertainment.


How great an idea is this...There should be geek bars where episodes of 'Firefly' are played on all the big screen TVs. Waitresses could wear geek themed t-shirts like the ones Sheldon wears on 'Big Bang Theory. You would be able to get drinks like 'Spice Beer' or 'Romulan Ale' and they would have get food nights like the 'Klingon Buffet Platter' or 'Who Roast Beast On A Bun'.

The prize machines would be stocked with action figures or superhero plushies. Of course the walls would be covered with costumes and prop replicas and pictures from cosplay parties held at the bar.

Sorta like that 'Planet Superhero' themed restaurant from 'Kingdom Come' but without the servers being in cosplay costumes. That is too much like dressing up employees in a humiliating hot dog costume to give out flyer's on the street. I just wouldn't put my cute waitresses through that.


I would welcome any thoughts you would have on this matter.

9 comments:

Ted Hobgood said...

I have no particularly useful comments on this matter; simply "yes please. Sign me up."

Also: "keep on bloggin' and entertainin', my Northern Neighbour."

Sarah said...

Kal--you know I'd go into business with you in a heartbeat. I've always thought owning a bar/restaurant would be awesome (except they have a HUGE rate of failure for start-ups).

Let's do this! Except I would like the servers to dress up in cosplay, but they could choose which character they want to be so there's no humiliation involved.

I think any server working there would have to be certified geek before they were allowed to work. And if that's the case, then for surely they'd love to cosplay for their favorite character.

And there should be a House rule somewhere that says NO BULLYING or MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE IN A MEAN WAY ALLOWED so that all the geeks who enter know that it is a safe place to gather, where they can let all their geek hang out.

Kal said...

I would motify your outfit idea by leaving the cosplay for the weekends so that we catch the tourist crowd but give our servers a break during the week. Someone might like feel like playing Powergirl every day. But geek ts are a must.

Servers would also get an extra couple bucks for each picture they took with a customer on our digital cams and that would be given to the customers with their bill. We could post the best copies on one part of the pub.

Think how cool it would be to bee a kid and have a picture with your favoite hero - the costumes would have to be perfect recreations to really sell the moment.

We could even recruit from conventions. It would almost become our BRAND and people would look for the pubs cosplayers at convention because they would be knows for their fine representations. Lots of actors and college kids would work for us.

The cosplay would have to match the person too. Bouncers would have to do the Hulk or Thor costumes.

Anyone acting like a jerk would learn pretty quickly what the term 'HULK SMASH' meant. How could would it be though to tell people that the Incredible Hulk bounced your ass out the pub.

We would need to put it near something like your Mall of America that would draw both tourists and families and give them something cool to do on top of visiting that shopping mecha.

We could have a good store that sold comics and geet paraphanalia like my Thor helmet I am wearing on this page.

And all that is just off the top of my head. See how you inspire, girl?

Hobgoblin238 said...

Um...I have been shouting at the top of my voice for over 3 years now. CHECK out my Monster Cafe! I show monster movies etc. JUST like the cafe that you thought about...I just did it three years ago is all. See the photos here... https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Monster-Cafe-Saltillo/209432898451?sk=photos

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think it's a million dollar idea.

Sarah said...

Bummer thought...what about copyright infringement? Would we have to partner with DC and Marvel & other entities to do this?

Hobgoblin--did this cause you an obstacle with your restaurant? If so, how did you overcome it?

I know there are such things as this out there somewhere (nothing new under the sun, after all) but it's fun to fantasize.

Kal said...

Yeh Sarah, frickin' corporations always keeping a man down. Bastards!

Wicked cool Ted. I would hang out there in a heartbeat.

Hobgoblin238 said...

No obstacle...I opened it in Mexico. Screw Karloff´s daughter! They don´t care in Mexico. We have been opened three years now. Come on down and have a brew!

Sarah said...

Man, the next time I'm in Mexico that's definitely on the list of places to visit!

I'll need to brush up on my espanol first...como se dice "geek" en espanol? :)