Friday, April 8, 2011

Dr. Who Season Two - New Earth


Do you think those cat nurse/nuns are celibate? I hope not. They are adorable. Evil but adorable. "Who needs arms when we have claws?"

"OOOO curves. It's like living inside a bouncy castle" I wouldn't mind living inside Rose for a weekend. I think I would be spending much time 'in my bunk' and in bubble baths when I wasn't taking pictures of myself as her. It's NOT sick and twisted. Don't judge.

Cassandra is an fantastic creation with a true Norma Desmond (Sunset Boulevard) quality to her. Billie plays the oversexed uber MILF part of Cassandra's personality to perfection. I found myself having to watch this episode twice just to focus on Billie's performance. Her acting, even in the background of scenes is Emmy worthy.



Don't get me started on David Tennant's 'Cassandra' - "Oh, he's slim - and a little bit foxy. You thought so too. I've been inside your head. You've been looking and you LIKE it."

That leads me to another question. Can a Time Lord have sex or is it like with Angel from 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' where sex has all kinds of terrible aftereffects? Or is the fact that the Doctor doesn't want to 'hit that' have more to do with the special relationship between Doctor/Companion? Don't tell me the answer is something as boring as it makes better entertainment to maintain the sexual tension between characters. I will be so disappointed if you tell me that.

5 comments:

Simon B said...

Hey, Cal! Spoiler time: you MIGHT see one of those cats again in Series 3. Don't jump ahead, now...

"New Earth" always had plenty of critics, being a bit of a comedy episode, with all the body-swap stuff going on. But I loved it! And Billie's interpretation of Cassandra was an early indication of her acting range. And sexy as hell, too...

I always remember watching this with mu son, who was only 5 at the time but already One Of Us. When the Doctor showered himself ( steady! ) with medicine and passed it on to all the infected clones, James instantly said "It's a disease that cures!" Pretty sharp, eh?
Dunno where he gets it from...

Drake said...

Yes the Doctor can have sex (insert screams of fanboys going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)it's been hinted that he had and lost his family except for his Grandaughter Susan (who was with the First Doctor).
Glad to see you enjoying the show. :)

Kal said...

I am glad that I am going through this show with fresh eyes out of the earshot of all the fanboy critics. I purposely avoid their reviews or opinions. I had to do that with 'Lost' too or I would have filled my head with their negative critisms and not my own opinion. I loved 'New Earth' I really am starting to love David Tennant too. "No Second Chances" and he MEANS it. He could have let Cassandra go on in a fresh body but NOPE. She had to go. He was more kind to her than she deserved but she had to go. And how cool is the 'Face of Bo'. I could watch a show just about him.

mrquizzical said...

Later in the series, it's implied several times that the Doctor and Queen Elizabeth I had sex. Since it was mentioned by both the 10th and 11th Doctors and at least one other character, guess that makes it true...

Kal said...

Ewwww...she was all white and bloodless.