Friday, April 8, 2011

Again With The Ripped Shirts




I have a feeling that my hated from Maksim's open shirt policy on 'Dancing With The Stars' comes from Doc Savage. It always bothered me that on every single cover of his books his shirt was ripped. I suspected that he did the tearing himself just so the ladies could oogle his big muscles. Plus, if he was smart enought to develop a parka that doesn't rip (as you can see in one of these iconic covers) then why not make his shirts out of the same material? It just drives me up the wall.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Clearly these novels are the male equivalents of "bodice-rippers."

DrGoat said...

I agree. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Doc novels, I read them when I was a kid and they led me to find more serious sci-fi literature. I remember wishing for a book to come out pitting Tom Swift against Doc Savage. A battle to the death, or something like that.

Susan Oloier said...

LOL! I agree. It is annoying with the open shirts.

Kal said...

Thank you Susan for your support. Guys and ripped or open shirts just bugs me. Part jealousy and part fashion embarrassment.

cardstuntman said...

Len Leone the art director at bantam books had a hand in designing the man of bronze comeback. He wanted the widows peak and the ripped shirt.
Cover artist Bob Larkin painted him several times without the torn shirt and got in trouble. One is on the short lived double reprint # 22 & 23
with Doc in front of the fortress of solitude. Another is on the regular double # 115 and 116 the speaking stone and 117 and 118 peril in the north.
The torn shirt was just like lone rangers mask or the shadows slouch fedora. It was/is his trademark.

cardstuntman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cardstuntman said...

one of the covers you have posted by James Avati, the polar treasure, Doc does not have the torn shirt.

Kal said...

I know because he is wearing a parka. Sorry to 'tug on Superman's cape' there. I was just goofin' on the good Doc. Gotta go with what works for ya. Thanks for the information.