Thursday, April 7, 2011

1st Annual Cave Of Cool Art Contest


I am also holding a contest for any all you artists out there. I call it 'Design For the 'Cave of Cool' Contest. There are three categories to compete in.


A) Design the interior of the Cave of Cool as you see it. Like the Batcave labelled diagrams you would find in the Golden Age and Silver Age comics. Go crazy with you imaginations and fill that place with geek approved stuff like in this image I commissioned by Becca.


B) Design our high tech underwater deep sea diving and battle suits. That would include any outlandish weaponry you would want to include. Suits designed for cats need to be met with the same enthusiasm. Parts of the suits or weaponry need to have their parts labeled. Drafting schematics are encouraged.

C) Do a three or four panel cartoon as you would imagine the adventures the cats and I and my best girls have on a daily basis. The funnier and unique the better. This would include my interaction with Selena, Christina Hendricks, Kat Dennings my cat attack squad, Their Master Sensei and various trouble making cephalopod enemies.

Consult my header for the various 'characters' in my imaginary world. You do yourself a favor also by studying my past posts to get a feeling for the 'vibe' around the 'Cave of Cool'. Incorporating those elements in your work are essential. (For example, showing me at a Justin Beiber concert with Christina Aquilara and the Olsen Twins while I ride my little pony and talk about Noah's Ark will only invoke my rage and waste your time - you are not gonna win shit.)


Colored work is best but black and white stuff has an equal ability to impress if it is done REALLY well.

Now the best part. In each category I will set a time limit (my birthday - MIDNIGHT - JUNE Ist 2011). I will need your permission to post and use your artwork in future 'Cave of Cool' posts. All artwork submitted becomes my property after this permission is given. I may approach you for an additional paid commissioned work (at your rates) from you if I like your skills and EFFORT that much so you are motivated to do your best work. Commissions may be awarded on top of the other guaranteed prizes. Number of commission totally depend on how much I admire the style of your work and how unique it is.

There will be one first place prize given in each of the three categories catagory (So three prizes). If more than 20 entries arrive in each category I will offer second place prizes as well)

FIRST PRIZE - A 50 dollar gift certificate that I can send you from Pay Pal to use to get whatever you wish from Ebay or any one of the many sites out there that accept such coupons.

If you would prefer - 50 dollars cash.

SECOND PRIZE - (If Applicable) - 25 dollars in the form of gift coupon or cash

I will allow one person to win all three first prizes if their work is that good. No random drawings will be made for winners. I will be the final arbiter of who wins each prize.

Only ONE entry per category will be allowed per person. You are not allowed hating me if I don't pick you as the winner. The last thing I want from anyone are hurt feelings. Don't enter at all if you feel you can't follow this edict especially.

Art can be sent by email (with a possible hard copy mailed to the 'Cave of Cool' which would be an appreciated courtesy but in no way necessary). The choice to send only a digital copy of your work is enough as long as it is sized to at least 1000 pixels in size so the detail of you work can be appreciated. That size will be good for me to get printed up.

Any failure to deviate from the requirements disqualifies you from the competition.

Again, I remind you that I value EFFORT more than anything else.

Most importantly I want you to have fun. Many of you with great art skills have told tell me you enjoy my stuff. I see it in the comments everyday. You really look out for me by sending me pictures and videos that you come across and know I would like. It means so much to me that you support this little imaginary world I have build around myself.

Good Luck and start drawing today!

8 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

I don't really care about prizes, but I wish I was a decent artist, just to create an image for the cave.

Kal said...

I am the same way. I would trade most anything for some artistic talent. I am sure you could photoshop something.

Wings1295 said...

I can't draw, but look forward to seeing the submissions!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Alas, I don't think my stickmen would cut it.

Tommy Lombardozzi said...

HmmmMMmmmmm...

Drake said...

I used to dream up and draw places and equipment like this when i was a teenager. Sadly i can't really draw much any more because it gets very painful but i know what the Cave of Cool looks like in my head!
Can't wait to see the winning design. :)

Kal said...

You and me both!

Cora said...

I used to be able to draw more than just stick figures many eons ago. I don't know if I still possess those skillz anymore, Kal. Lemme see what I can whip up and, well, I guess we'll see.