Monday, November 9, 2009

Straight For The Water Baby


Homemade skateboard...check. Crazy steep hill...check. No helmet to increase drag...check. Upcoming death...double check.

This reminds me of my sister and what happen to her when we were kids. We were in British Columbia visiting relatives and we took the bikes for a ride. Like many people our relatives lived on the side of a mountain. So when you rode the bikes you had to be careful not to put full brakes on when you picked up speed down the hill. She ignored this advice and did a full frontal road scrape after flying over the handle bars while wearing just shorts and a halter top. It was horrific. That night my mother pulled tiny rocks out from under her skin with tweezers. She then put that stinging cream on her while we ate spaghetti and meatballs in the next room without a word. We could only listen to her muffled cries. One of my cousins then looked down at his plate and said, "This looks like Kimmy." We laughed and laughed till we couldn't breath. I don't know why I just told that story. Good times...good times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that memory. Once you know your sibling or fellow kid who got into a wreck or had an accident is going to pull through, it's always funny as hell to make jokes about the incident.

Wings1295 said...

I agree with the good doctor. Once the fear of danger or pain is passed, then it is sort of a coping mechanism to find the humor in a situation. At least, that is how I have coped! :)

Awesome pic, btw.