Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Prisoner Explained

OMG...I just figured it out. When I was writing my 'Prisoner' post I thought about something. Everything happening to Six is in his own mind. The white suits stand in for the white coats of the doctors and nurses at the mental hospital where Six is confined to after he lost his mind. The explosion that killed his new girlfriend Lucy is what drove him over the edge. Every character is either hospital staff or patients that Six has incorporated into his complicated delusion. Ian McKellen is his doctor trying to lead Six back to reality. That explains several things that had no basis in reality like the mysterious holes that appear all over the village. They are fractures in Six's mind that need to be repaired one pit at a time. I am posting this before seeing the last two hours so that I can either be embarrassed or hailed as a genius.

4 comments:

Lana said...

i really wanted to watch this show but i can't even begin to understand it. i need cliff's notes, but this sounds like a good start. thanks!

Anonymous said...

embaressed

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Way to go Anonymous. So glad you could weigh in on the discussion. What brilliant insight you have.

Unknown said...

So I Google'd "The Prisoner Explained" and your blog was one of the top results. I was hoping for some logical insight. Before I say what I wanted to say, I will say this: I am not sure what went on in this show. My instinct was something along the lines of multiple levels of consciousness. That is clearly part of the explanation, as "Curtis / #2" blatantly says it to us in the final chapter.

What I came here to say is this: you couldn't be more wrong about what happened. Six is not in a mental institution, he is not crazy, and the characters in the show are not crazy. When I figure out more, I will return to your blog to continue this discussion. Feel free to e-mail me cgracioppo@gmail.com if you wish to have a dialog.