Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer Time Food


I love this old time logo for A&W. When I was a kid McDonald's was not everywhere but every town had an A&W. The burgers just tasted better and I loved the way that tray hooked onto the window when you drove up to the drive in. I even remember the girls on roller skates and was always amazed that they never wiped out though you watched for it each time they came outside with an order. Cold root beer in a frosty glass was and still is the only way to drink root beer. On long car rides we would get the large moonshine jug of the stuff and keep it in a cooler full of ice. Why does pop taste better out of glass bottles? Was it just a different formula then or am I trapped in the haze of nostalgia as usual. I remember always asking my Dad why the Root Bear needed a sweater? Didn't he have fur? And what was the deal with Chubby Chicken? Wasn't he advertising cannibalism from his point of view. You can see I was a confused child.

1 comment:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Oh yeah, A&W rocked my world as a kid. I swear I drank more of their root beer than I did milk until I was 10.