Friday, August 7, 2009

Facts on Freddy


I have me some man love for Freddy Mercury. Queen was the first group that I got into in a serious way and they formed alot of my musical tastes from then on. I tended to go for more sophisticated lyrics and musical arrangements than the disposable bubble gum pop of the times. Of course eventually even 'Queen' had to abandon their 'no synths' rule and we kinda lost them then. However, whenever I am asked my opinion on who is the greatest singer of the rock era I always defend Freddy Mercury. It begins and ends with him. 'Metal Floss' had ten facts about Freddy that I had to reprint here. If that doesn't convince you of his awesomeness then look at the way he is about to bitchslap Darkseid.


"1. He designed the Queen emblem (AKA the Queen Crest) himself, thanks to a degree in art and graphic design from Ealing Art College. The crest is made of the zodiac signs of the whole band – two Leo lions for John Deacon and Roger Taylor, a Cancer crab for Brian May and two fairies to represent Freddie’s Virgo sign. The “Q” and the crown represent the band name, of course, and a phoenix protects the whole thing.

2. His birth name was Farrokh Bulsara; he started going by Freddie when he was at St. Peter’s, a boarding school for boys near Mumbai. He legally changed his name to Freddie Mercury around 1970, when Queen was formed.

3. He and family (parents and one sister, Kashmira) were Parsis and practiced Zoroastrian religion. Even though he hadn’t practiced in years, his funeral was performed by a Zoroastrian priest.

4. Freddie was born in Zanzibar – his family moved there so his dad could continue his career at the British Colonial Office.

5. Freddie had a recorded range of three (almost four) octaves. Mariah Carey claims five, for some perspective. When he spoke he was more of a baritone, but majority of his singing fell in the tenor range.

6. He had a long-term girlfriend in the early 70s named Mary Austin. Even after they broke up, they remained incredibly close. He gave an interview in 1985 and said that she was his only friend and he didn’t want any other friends. He wrote “Love of My Life” about her and was the godfather of her first son. When he died, he left her most of his money, his house, and his recording royalties.

7. Although he was obviously very flamboyant on stage, most people who knew him intimately said he was very shy in his personal life – one of the reasons he very rarely granted interviews.

8. Freddie and his manager issued a statement confirming that he had AIDS the very day before he died. It had been widely speculated for a couple of years due to his gaunt appearance and Queen’s sudden lack of touring. Some people were very upset by this delayed statement, saying that an earlier announcement could have raised a vast amount of money for the cause.

9. He loved cats and had as many as 10 at one point. He even had an album and a song dedicated to his cats (Mr. Bad Guy). He wrote a song about his favorite cat, Delilah. Here’s a bit of it:

Delilah, Delilah, oh my, oh my, oh my – you’re irresistible
You make me smile when I’m just about to cry
You bring me hope, you make me laugh – you like it
You get away with murder, so innocent
But when you throw a moody you’re all claws and you bite -
That’s alright !
Delilah, Delilah, oh my, oh my, oh my – you’re unpredictable
You make me so very happy
When you cuddle up and go to sleep beside me
And then you make me slightly mad
When you pee all over my Chippendale Suite

10. The “bottomless mic” was among Freddie’s many trademarks. Here’s how that happened: early in Queen’s career, he was apparently mid-show when his mic stand snapped in half. Instead of having it replaced, Freddie just used it as-is. He must have liked it, because he used the mic “stick” from then on."




http://www.mentalfloss.com/

3 comments:

Booksteve said...

I've seen a couple interviews with Freddy where he sits very guardedly and usually attempts to keep his hand shielding his mouth due to (I assume) his particularly large overbite which gave him a bit of a lisp.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I loved his overbite...now I only play for my team but for him, I would have switched. The man was a flamboyant showman and a true performer. Try to argue me down on this one.

Wings1295 said...

Sadly, I didn't appreciate Mercury or Queen while he was still alive. But I have made up for it since. I think they may be my favorite band now. Great stuff.