Saturday, April 11, 2009

Calvin Smoking


This cartoon could have been taken from my real life. When I was six we were at the family farm in Manitoba, halfway between the thriving metropolis of Vita and Sundown. My relatives were all making hay bales and me and my cousin were hanging around the house. My Baba was clearing room in the fridge and gave my cousin and I a huge tray of carrot cake with that thick cream cheese icing and big bottle of cream soda. Of course we finished that off in no time and feeling good about myself I walked back to the house. My Dad was sitting on the stoop smoking a cigarette and I asked him if I could have one. "Sure" he said. "I have been waiting for you to ask me." He showed me how to hold the smoke and we went through a few dry runs before he lit it. Now I must have inhaled half that smoke into my lungs and BOOM..out came a torrent of carrot cake and cream soda. I layed on the couch for two days with a wet rag on my head asking him over and over again, "Why did you do that to me? I thought you were suppose to love me?" It was a mental memory that sticks with me to this day. I can be in a bar with alot of smoke and I will actually taste carrot cake and cream soda even though I can't ever eat them again. A good lesson. He baited the hook and I bit it..HARD. Thanks Dad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the problem wasn't the cigarette-- you shouldn't have mixed carrot cake with cream soda...
mmmmmmmmm, carrot cake-- time to smoke...

Wings1295 said...

Good story! Sometimes the lessons we need to learn are hard ones to learn. But he did the right thing, in the end.

Chase March said...

That's a great story. I'd be scared to do what your dad did though. It could backfire. Still though, lesson learned so it's all good.